My Life in a Nut Shell

3 surgeries for Endometriosis, countless medications, and lots of difficult years trying to conceive. We put the medical stuff on hold and decided to work on being parents instead. In July of 2000 we were blessed beyond all measure with a phone call announcing the birth of our daughter, Megan. Megan's birth mother had given birth the day before and was leaving the hospital. We had no warning that Megan was coming. At 4:29 in the afternoon we were a couple, at 4:30 we were parents. Deciding that we wanted a sibling for Megan, we looked into all our options. This time insurance covered IVF. One round and we were blessed with triplets, Abigail, Brigid, and Caroline. Did you know that there is a 70% chance of divorce in families of Higher Order Multiples? Almost two years after the triplets were born my ex-husband and I separated and eventually divorced. During that time both my Mother and Father passed away from cancer. In February of 2007 my sister came to live with us to help out. In December of 2008 she had to leave so now it is me on my own with the girls. In February 2010, Lisa passed away and finally found her own Peace.

Saturday, December 29, 2007

December 29

It's about 9:45 a.m. The girls were just picked up by their Dad. I miss them already. I really have a hard time balancing the fact that I love to be with them all the time and the fact that I do need some me time. I grew up in a house where my Mom rarely took her own me time. and that is how I parent. The problem with that is I do tend to burn myself out a lot. While I worried constantly when they are gone, I do feel some sense of relief that I do not have someone in the house needing my constant attention. I won't post much on here about the girls' Dad. Out of respect that he is their Father, I will keep his privacy as much as I can. He has had a difficult time in the last several years. I know he loves them beyond all measure. But it is very difficult for me because he works part-time and I get very little support money for the girls. I could launch into a thousand reasons why things don't work for him but I won't. The only other thing I will say is that he gets the girls four days out of the month. Every other weekend. And that is it. We just don't see him any other time.

On a better and much happier note, Brigid wrote her name by herself for the first time this morning!!! Yea!!! Abby can write her name. I spell her name to the tune of Beethoven's Fifth. Now everyone in the house can spell her name. Caroline has a tune for her name and it is set to classical music. Only problem is I don't name the name of it. She is working really hard on her name and I think by the end of January she will be set. Caroline has had a lot of issues for her fine motor skills and received OT until she was three. I am working with her to use a marker because she doesn't have to press to hard for it to show up thereby making it easier to write. Caroline is so much like me that it is scary. She is always wired for sound. She gets upset easily, and she worries constantly. I'm trying really hard to work with her on that as well. I don't want her to struggle through the same things I did when I was her age. Funny she is also left-handed like me too. she is a mirror image lefty, like me, which means that she does everything left sided. Uses her left ear for the phone, left eye for cameras, kicks with her left foot. Abby and Megan are right handed and Brigid is left-handed but uses her right side for everything else.

Yesterday we babysat for a friend's twin girls. They are 5 years old and almost as tall as Megan. Ali and Julie are cute as buttons and they were here from around 11:30 to almost 8 p.m. Their Dad picked them up around 5:30 and actually stayed that late trying to fix my broken dishwasher. To no success. So it is back to handwashing dishes again. My sister sort of took over that job. All six girls had a blast. My house will never be the same but I'm glad they had friends over. Their big brother, Brandon, did not stay with us. He is the same age as Megan and they get along really well together but he didn't want to come over here because there were too many girls! His Dad said that there will always be too many girls here! yesterday there were 8 females in the house, to female cats, and one lonely male cat. I sometimes refer to this place as the Harrigan House of Estrogen. Can you imagine the teenage years?!?

Time for me to start sorting and purging the playroom. I can't even walk on the floor in here without stepping on something. I am going to take this two day opportunity to get rid of lots of toys they don't play with anymore. And I always try to pay it forward. They will go to Goodwill and anyone who would like them. We have been so blessed with so much kindness and help that I always feel the need to do the same. It may be foolish financially not to sell everything, but we would never have made it without others' generosity so I feel compelled to do the same. Every so often when things have gotten really tight, I have sold some things. I always feel better giving it away though.

Chat with you soon!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Kristina

Thanks for dropping in to our blog. I've had a quick read of your bio and all I can say is - fuck! Well done to you on having the strength to carry on and give the love and support that your kids need.

I'll bookmark you and pop in to see how you're doing in the future.

Oh, incidentally, I think we were probably born in the same month/year etc as I'm a Cancer and Monkey as well. Obviously good people...

Cheers, I'm sure we'll chat again.

Kim said...

Hey Kristina
I'm looking forward to reading your blog and keeping up with my niece's. I'm glad you had a good christmas.
Kim

Hey how did everything go in Rochester?