My Life in a Nut Shell

3 surgeries for Endometriosis, countless medications, and lots of difficult years trying to conceive. We put the medical stuff on hold and decided to work on being parents instead. In July of 2000 we were blessed beyond all measure with a phone call announcing the birth of our daughter, Megan. Megan's birth mother had given birth the day before and was leaving the hospital. We had no warning that Megan was coming. At 4:29 in the afternoon we were a couple, at 4:30 we were parents. Deciding that we wanted a sibling for Megan, we looked into all our options. This time insurance covered IVF. One round and we were blessed with triplets, Abigail, Brigid, and Caroline. Did you know that there is a 70% chance of divorce in families of Higher Order Multiples? Almost two years after the triplets were born my ex-husband and I separated and eventually divorced. During that time both my Mother and Father passed away from cancer. In February of 2007 my sister came to live with us to help out. In December of 2008 she had to leave so now it is me on my own with the girls. In February 2010, Lisa passed away and finally found her own Peace.

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Back at it

Oddly enough I'm being asked to blog again.  Not exactly sure why.  I often feel like I am a trainwreck of epic proportions.  Perhaps that is why people want to read.  Just to see what crazy things will happen next.  Sometimes I get so damn full of myself that I have to stop blogging and get a handle on myself.  Sometimes there is just so much to blog about I don't know where to start. But let's start with this:

You know that moment of clarity in your life where you know exactly what it is you want to do with your life?  Yeah that hasn't happened yet.  (There ya go Kate.)  I got laid off from my job two weeks ago.  To say that it has shaken me to my core is an understatement.  I devoted so much of my time, energy, and dare I say talent to that place and to have it all end so very quickly has me a bit frazzled.  The long and short of it is the new owners eliminated my position and got rid of management.

So here I sit.

I've had 3 interviews already and am actually sitting back a little bit and trying to decide what I want to do with my life.  No I can't teach for the public school system.  I've quit twice.  Bad life decisions.  I admit that.  In the meantime my teaching certificate has expired and it requires me to back to school to renew it.  That, of course, costs money I don't have.  Plus I LIKE preschool.  Always have.  LOVE the age group.  So I'll continue looking.  Right now I'm going to enjoy the summer with the girls.  I had pushed the girls to the back so to speak in order to devote so much of me to that job.  Now I get to focus on them.   I started back in April with a trip to New Smyrna Beach, Florida.  Why there you ask?   One of my sister's favorite beaches. We let her ashes go on the beach on Easter Sunday at sundown:

After that we swam, relaxed, and basically enjoyed ourselves. Yep.  We made it.

 The view from our room:

 Bingo and Caroline:

 I had time to read Breaking Dawn:


 Megan and Brigid participated in the hula hoop contest:


Abby after the egg hunt:


That's Brigid and Abby with the noodles in the pool and this is the resort we stayed at:

Even the Easter bunny came!  What a way to spend Easter:

Abby on the beach:

Brigid and Megan bodyboarding:

More Brigid and Megan:


Caroline:

Brigid and Caroline climbing on the play equipment after lunch:


It was a wonderful week and I was proud of myself for both having the money to do this and for driving the girls down and back by myself.  I was also proud of the girls for being such great travelers and being such great sports about going down there and having to penny pinch.   We did a lot of dinners at restaurants that had kids eat free deals and then ate in our room which had a full kitchen.

During the 5 months I haven't blogged, pretty much everything has stayed the same.  Well other than getting laid off.  I managed to piss off a couple of friends.  Apparently I am good at that.  A former co-worker once told me I was way to blunt for my own good.  I just have learned in the years since my divorce, to use my voice.  I hate pussyfooting.  Hate it.  I expect to be treated that way too.  Tell me to my face what I'm doing wrong or right.

Oh and for Mother's Day I got a kitten.  So if you are keeping track that is 4 kids and 4 pets.  I think I'll stop for awhile.  Although Ali has pointed out that me being me I'll probably end up with someone dropping off their kid on my doorstep.  And that will be ok.  I've learned in my life that life has a way of working itself out.   I say repeatedly that my faith in God and the Grace He provides me allows me to get through everything. It's been a long amazing journey so far.  Some really bad; mostly good.  I'll keep plugging through.

But for now...I gotta find the inside of this apartment.  It's bordering on hoarders here.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I get first dibs on leaving a kid on your doorstep. (Sorry Megs, not the baby.) Likely to leave a stubborn 4-year-old or a little brother. You certainly could work some of your pre-school magic with either of them!

Kristina said...

The stubborn 4 year old did great with Megs! Even the little brother. She has that affect on kids. :)