My Life in a Nut Shell

3 surgeries for Endometriosis, countless medications, and lots of difficult years trying to conceive. We put the medical stuff on hold and decided to work on being parents instead. In July of 2000 we were blessed beyond all measure with a phone call announcing the birth of our daughter, Megan. Megan's birth mother had given birth the day before and was leaving the hospital. We had no warning that Megan was coming. At 4:29 in the afternoon we were a couple, at 4:30 we were parents. Deciding that we wanted a sibling for Megan, we looked into all our options. This time insurance covered IVF. One round and we were blessed with triplets, Abigail, Brigid, and Caroline. Did you know that there is a 70% chance of divorce in families of Higher Order Multiples? Almost two years after the triplets were born my ex-husband and I separated and eventually divorced. During that time both my Mother and Father passed away from cancer. In February of 2007 my sister came to live with us to help out. In December of 2008 she had to leave so now it is me on my own with the girls. In February 2010, Lisa passed away and finally found her own Peace.

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Bike Riding and stuff

So I've taken up a new hobby.  Bike riding.  I haven't ridden a bike since I was 18.   Yesterday my fat ass got up on a bike and I actually rode with the girls to the library and back.  That's about a mile one way.  That's huge for all of us.   There were definitely tears involved from Abigail and Caroline about it being too far.  Megan griped at everyone there and back.  Brigid was the only one who pretty much remained calm during the ride.  Well and me of course.  What a frickin' spectacle we made of ourselves.  We already attract a lot of attention.  Four daughters, 3 of whom are triplets, riding bikes down the street.  My big fat butt on a bike.   Then add the crying and screaming and people were actually slowing down to stare at us.  Wee. Ali said she pictured us in a scene from The Sound of Music.  All cheerful and everything.


My goal is to try and work up to riding my bike back and forth to school.  That depends on whether I can get the trio ready in time to catch the bus in the morning.  If I can I should be able to make it to school by 9 a.m. 

After dinner the girls and I got back on our bikes and rode to a park nearby.  I ended up meeting a 76 year old woman named Delores (cue the Jerry Seinfeld reference) who was there with her granddaughter.   She was 10.  My girls played and I chatted.  I found out Delores had just had her second knee replacement surgery, has two children, 3 grandchildren, and 1 great-grandchild.  I enjoyed chatting with her.  Mainly because I just miss my Mom.  My Mom would be turning 75 next month.  Really I just wanted Delores to hug me.  I know, I know.  I don't like hugs but I would have liked a hug from someone who reminded me of my Mom.  I probably would have cried if she did hug me.  So instead we rode our bikes home.

Today was minor house repair day today.  I washed walls and spackled holes.  The girls helped flood wash the hallway.  We went to yoga and I ran errands.  I should have tried out yoga today but the idea of having an hour of quiet time was actually more appealing.  I ended up at Walgreen's where I bought posters and poster markers.  We are picking up my friends tomorrow from the airport and I get to meet their two new children from  Russia!  The girls wanted to do posters and balloons.  I hope I don't cry too badly.  Ali is coming with tomorrow to help with transportation.  She is worried I will scare the kids.  Just imagine being 2 and 3, landing in a foreign country where nobody speaks your language, walking down the airport corridor to be met by a large, crying woman with pink and white hair.  Oh boy.

Along with the transportation tomorrow I am also going to their house to tidy up before they get home.  I also volunteered to help a friend with yard work on Friday because her husband is having surgery this week. I'm actually enjoying helping friends out. I didn't realize how much I was neglecting while working that job I had.   I didn't realize how much stress I was under until I've gotten two months out from that place.  I feel badly that my children got neglected.  I feel badly that my friends got neglected.   While I'm not having Sound of Music days I am definitely having long stretches of stress-free time.



We also stopped this evening to take one fabulous picture.  Brigid in front of St. Brigid's Catholic Church.  Nothing like sharing a name with a saint. Brigid is MY hero.

Now off to bed.  Busy day tomorrow!!



No comments: