My Life in a Nut Shell

3 surgeries for Endometriosis, countless medications, and lots of difficult years trying to conceive. We put the medical stuff on hold and decided to work on being parents instead. In July of 2000 we were blessed beyond all measure with a phone call announcing the birth of our daughter, Megan. Megan's birth mother had given birth the day before and was leaving the hospital. We had no warning that Megan was coming. At 4:29 in the afternoon we were a couple, at 4:30 we were parents. Deciding that we wanted a sibling for Megan, we looked into all our options. This time insurance covered IVF. One round and we were blessed with triplets, Abigail, Brigid, and Caroline. Did you know that there is a 70% chance of divorce in families of Higher Order Multiples? Almost two years after the triplets were born my ex-husband and I separated and eventually divorced. During that time both my Mother and Father passed away from cancer. In February of 2007 my sister came to live with us to help out. In December of 2008 she had to leave so now it is me on my own with the girls. In February 2010, Lisa passed away and finally found her own Peace.

Thursday, July 17, 2008

The book we are in has been published!

A few years ago a writer from the Washington Post got in touch with me through our local twins club. She was writing a book about ART procedures. ART stands for Assisted Reproductive Technology. Basically any procedure used to help fertility. She wanted to write about how ART is changing our world. She interviewed me several times about how all four girls came to be in this family. The book has been published and we are in it! She does use our names which I told her was ok. She did a marvelous job at keeping our story true. It's funny that she titled my section, "We're all on Zoloft." I mentioned this to her when I was talking about other triplet Moms that I know. The main part of our story is that we were not prepared for triplets. We were not expecting triplets. The fertility dr. did not discuss multiples with us AT ALL. It wasn't until I had been given two valium right before the embryo transfer that they wanted us to decide what to do with all 4 embryos. My ex only wanted to transfer 2. I wanted 4. The dr. convinced us that 4 would be a good choice. After we agreed he handed us a piece of paper that asked us to sign that we agreed to 4 embryos and the paper listed some of the really terrible things that could happen if higher order multiples were conceived. This was the ONLY info we received. I've always been a big believer that fertility clinics have a responsiblility to provide indepth information to couples before they even start the fertility process. While I love my trio with all my heart and can't imagine what life would be like without them, it has been a huge strain. Having triplets was a direct issue in the dissolving of my marriage. Finances have been a disaster. There is constant worry. I just received the girls' school supply list. 4 sets of school supplies this year. Yikes. And no I won't get any help from the girls' dad so don't even suggest it.

I have 2 copies of the book if anyone here in town wants to borrow a copy. The name of the book is: Everything Conceivable How Assisted Reproductive Technology is Changing Our World. The author is Liza Mundy.

Amazon.com has copies of the book with several reviews. The first review is from another Washington Post writer who says there are 2 stories that stick out in her mind. One of them is the story of Megan. I don't look at this negatively mainly because it is my life that I live. Others may read it and think otherwise. But I live this everyday and for me to think everything is awful would me that I am not greatful for my life. And that is not true. I love my life but more importantly I love my children. I have been so blessed that I would not take one single second away to live it again.

Here is the link: http://www.amazon.com/Everything-Conceivable-Assisted-Reproduction-Changing/dp/1400095379/ref=cm_taf_title_featured?ie=UTF8&tag=tellafriend-20

In the words of Fergie (Black Eyed Peas)-Check, Check, Check, Check it out!

No comments: