My Life in a Nut Shell

3 surgeries for Endometriosis, countless medications, and lots of difficult years trying to conceive. We put the medical stuff on hold and decided to work on being parents instead. In July of 2000 we were blessed beyond all measure with a phone call announcing the birth of our daughter, Megan. Megan's birth mother had given birth the day before and was leaving the hospital. We had no warning that Megan was coming. At 4:29 in the afternoon we were a couple, at 4:30 we were parents. Deciding that we wanted a sibling for Megan, we looked into all our options. This time insurance covered IVF. One round and we were blessed with triplets, Abigail, Brigid, and Caroline. Did you know that there is a 70% chance of divorce in families of Higher Order Multiples? Almost two years after the triplets were born my ex-husband and I separated and eventually divorced. During that time both my Mother and Father passed away from cancer. In February of 2007 my sister came to live with us to help out. In December of 2008 she had to leave so now it is me on my own with the girls. In February 2010, Lisa passed away and finally found her own Peace.

Thursday, June 28, 2012

Change is Good ('cause it happens a lot)

I apparently don't do well with the status quo.   I like change.  I like adapting to change.  So I've come up with something new.  I'm going back to school.  Just not the school you might expect.  I had always dreamed of continuing on in school to get my doctorate.  I liked the sound of Dr. Harrigan.   After getting laid off from my job I've had the time to really think and pray about what it is I want to do.  So here it is.

I'm going to be a cosmetologist.

WTF right?  I have always had an interest in cosmetology.  Always.  Not sure why.  It's funny how quickly this all came together in a perfect fit.  I got laid off.  I called for a tour at Empire.  I liked what I saw.  I found out I can collect unemployment while going to school.  I filled out my financial aid paperwork.   I went in yesterday for a follow-up appointment at Empire and got everything completed.  I start August 20.  It's an intensive year of school from 9-4:30 Mon. thru Fri.  The hours are perfect.  They are flexible with my schedule if something comes up with the girls.  I have prayed and prayed.   This came together just so perfectly.   I feel certain in my heart that this is what I am meant to do at this point in my life.   The possibilities are just endless for all the things I can do once I graduate.  I am just so excited.  I keep pinching myself because I just can't believe this is going to happen.   I'm excited about my future.  I'm excited about my future for my girls.  

Last night I went to a Moms of Multiples get together at Tumbleweed on the River.   My friend Joan treated me to dinner and bought me the most amazing bath fizzies.  (I'm not sure exactly what to call them.  I was going to call them bath salts but with all the talk of a zombie apocalypse because of a drug called bath salts I didn't want anyone to think I was doing anything else but taking a bath.)   It was so much fun to see all these triplet and quint Moms enjoying each others' company!  

I also dyed my hair almost white with pink highlights.  One of the perks of going to cosmetology school is that I got to get this done for free!  Woohoo!!!   I love changing my hair color but always do it at home with whatever color is on sale.  It was so nice to have someone else do it!  The best part of getting my hair done yesterday?  My former preschool AND first grade student, Shelby, is now a student at Empire!  Shelby is one of those students who just stayed in my mind for all these years.  She was the first former student I looked up on FB!  

Today has been a busy day at home.  I've cleaned all the carpet in every room in my apartment.  I cleaned Caroline's mattress and have washed everyone's bedding.   It smells so good in here!  I wanted to make sure that things are in great shape when the girls get home on Saturday.  They've been gone a week and I actually miss them!!  

Earlier this week I helped out at my friends' house getting things organized for the coming home of their new son and daughter from Russia!    Their new bedrooms are so adorable as is the playroom!  I feel so honored that EM and K allowed me to come into their house and help get things ready.  I also took their daughter (the elusive 5th Harrigan) to the zoo on Tuesday so her Mom could run errands.  We spent the whole day there with Ali and her boys (thanks for getting us in for free!) then came back to my apartment pool to swim for an hour.  By the time I took her home she had fallen asleep in my car!   I love 4 year olds!!

Well that's my week in a nutshell.    Can't wait till my girls get back!  I miss them!!

No comments: