My Life in a Nut Shell

3 surgeries for Endometriosis, countless medications, and lots of difficult years trying to conceive. We put the medical stuff on hold and decided to work on being parents instead. In July of 2000 we were blessed beyond all measure with a phone call announcing the birth of our daughter, Megan. Megan's birth mother had given birth the day before and was leaving the hospital. We had no warning that Megan was coming. At 4:29 in the afternoon we were a couple, at 4:30 we were parents. Deciding that we wanted a sibling for Megan, we looked into all our options. This time insurance covered IVF. One round and we were blessed with triplets, Abigail, Brigid, and Caroline. Did you know that there is a 70% chance of divorce in families of Higher Order Multiples? Almost two years after the triplets were born my ex-husband and I separated and eventually divorced. During that time both my Mother and Father passed away from cancer. In February of 2007 my sister came to live with us to help out. In December of 2008 she had to leave so now it is me on my own with the girls. In February 2010, Lisa passed away and finally found her own Peace.

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Chiari Girls

That's what Caroline calls herself and Brigid.  Today was the follow-up appt. to establish Brigid's new normal after her Chiari surgery last March.  Dr. Moriarty pulled up Brigid's MRI pictures from yesterday and couldn't stop smiling.  He was very proud of himself.  He should be.  I couldn't believe the difference from her MRI in February right before her surgery.  Her brain looked beautiful!!  NO symptoms at all!  This is exactly what I was praying for!!!  She still has a bit of fluid collection so we will keep on eye on things.  She does not need to have another MRI for an entire year!!  Hooray!!!!  She still has some limits on trampolines and bouncy houses.  No tumbling.  But otherwise a clean bill of health!!    This is where my faith is renewed AGAIN!! 

Caroline on the other hand will have an MRI scheduled.  Her Chiari symptoms are much worse.  She is having exertion headaches almost daily.  I hate that she feels so badly.  Monday she got mad at Abby outside and came running up to while I was outside with Petey.  She stopped, grabbed the back of her head, and started crying.  Apparently these headaches have been going on at school too and she just isn't telling anyone.  Dr. Moriarty said if there has been ANY change in her MRI then we are a go for surgery.  I have mixed feelings.  I DO NOT want Caroline to experience any of the pain poor Brigid had to have.  But I also want Caroline to be healthy.  At this point I'm going to try not to worry too much about anything.  At least we've been through this before and know what to expect.  I won't have as many questions.  Brigid can prepare Caroline for what to expect.  We can handle this again. 

I did experience what has to be a definition of hell today.  Anytime we have an appt. at Dr. Moriarty's I know there will be a long wait.  WE brought snacks, homework, and activities to do.  That was fine for the first 45 minutes in the waiting room.  The hell came from the HOUR stuck back in that little white cubicle they call an examine room.  With 4 girls.  Shit.  We played games, read, did more homework.  We even did what a brilliant triplet Mom suggested we do and we drew on the white paper covering the exam table.  That got us about 45 minutes in but those last 15 minutes were awful!!  Ugh!!  I wish they would put a little TV in there.  Or computer games.  Maybe a recliner and small refrigerator.  Something to help pass the time.  By the time we got home after 2 long hours, I volunteered to take Petey outside just so I could have some decent space around me.  I need to decompress.  The funny thing was each one of the girls separated themselves to different rooms in the house.  They needed the space too!

Now I'm going to ask a favor.  Dear friends leave tomorrow morning for Russia to meet their new children.  They will be gone until next Friday.  Please pray that they have safe travels and that everything goes as planned in Russia.  Please pray for their new children and their child they already have.  Thank you!

No comments: