My Life in a Nut Shell

3 surgeries for Endometriosis, countless medications, and lots of difficult years trying to conceive. We put the medical stuff on hold and decided to work on being parents instead. In July of 2000 we were blessed beyond all measure with a phone call announcing the birth of our daughter, Megan. Megan's birth mother had given birth the day before and was leaving the hospital. We had no warning that Megan was coming. At 4:29 in the afternoon we were a couple, at 4:30 we were parents. Deciding that we wanted a sibling for Megan, we looked into all our options. This time insurance covered IVF. One round and we were blessed with triplets, Abigail, Brigid, and Caroline. Did you know that there is a 70% chance of divorce in families of Higher Order Multiples? Almost two years after the triplets were born my ex-husband and I separated and eventually divorced. During that time both my Mother and Father passed away from cancer. In February of 2007 my sister came to live with us to help out. In December of 2008 she had to leave so now it is me on my own with the girls. In February 2010, Lisa passed away and finally found her own Peace.

Friday, April 30, 2010

Burger King

Finally an end to what had to be one of the hardest weeks at work.  I think everyone there, kids included, are ready for a break.  A vacation.  We've been going at things full throttle and I really think Memorial Day will provide everyone with a much need rest.  We have two new teachers starting at our school who I think will be fantastic additions to our work family.  It is such a small, cozy school and it really needs people who can get along with each other and who love children.  And I think our bosses have done it with these two new teachers. 

I will admit that this has been a trying week.  I kind of liken it to being pecked to death by a baby bird.  I realize that is another cliche but if it works why not go with it.   I do love my job.  I do love my kids.  It's just that it starts from the moment I get up until I put children to bed at night.  My children naturally want all my attention.  Since I am the only parent in my home it is hard when they all want my attention at the same time.  And then there is the classroom.  They all want my attention.  And on days when I am so tired, the constant pull at me wears me down. 

I'm not sure what prompted me to suggest walking to our neighborhood Burger King for a field trip for the three and four year olds at my school.  I think because it is Oaks Day and there is no school that made it seem like fun.  My children were with my school as well and I knew they would enjoy it.  So off we headed with two teachers and five parent helpers.  I forgot that the kids are so young because as soon as the food was passed out everyone needed help getting things open.  As we finally have a lull in things I headed over to get some napkins.  A gentleman standing there says, "Are you the teacher?"  and I answered yes.  Then he says, "Do you think they would like some ice cream?  How many kids do you have?  I'l pay for every child to have ice cream."  And then he did!!!  He paid 47 DOLLARS for the ice cream for all 28 children.  Amazing.  I got his name and the company he worked for to send a thank you note.   By the way the company was Steinrock Roofing and his name was Bill and his friend was Curtis.  I figured I had to mention it since he so kindly offered to pay. 

Even when I am feeling down and worn out by life I am constantly surprised by the blessings and kindness that abounds in this world.  He really did make my day.  He made all those children's day.  Truly fantastic.

No comments: