My Life in a Nut Shell

3 surgeries for Endometriosis, countless medications, and lots of difficult years trying to conceive. We put the medical stuff on hold and decided to work on being parents instead. In July of 2000 we were blessed beyond all measure with a phone call announcing the birth of our daughter, Megan. Megan's birth mother had given birth the day before and was leaving the hospital. We had no warning that Megan was coming. At 4:29 in the afternoon we were a couple, at 4:30 we were parents. Deciding that we wanted a sibling for Megan, we looked into all our options. This time insurance covered IVF. One round and we were blessed with triplets, Abigail, Brigid, and Caroline. Did you know that there is a 70% chance of divorce in families of Higher Order Multiples? Almost two years after the triplets were born my ex-husband and I separated and eventually divorced. During that time both my Mother and Father passed away from cancer. In February of 2007 my sister came to live with us to help out. In December of 2008 she had to leave so now it is me on my own with the girls. In February 2010, Lisa passed away and finally found her own Peace.

Saturday, September 17, 2011


Yesterday was an underwhelming day.  It started with Megan and I getting out late to catch her bus.  The bus driver has been super late 4 days in a row.  Yesterday he was early.  Megan was upset with me because I didn't rush her straight to school.  I have to be to work at 7 a.m.  I cook breakfast for all those preschoolers.  Yep 7 1/2 years in school and a Master's degree and I stand in the kitchen at 7 a.m. to cook breakfast for 30-40 kids.  My boss depends on me to get to work in a reasonable on-time fashion.  So I loaded up 4 kids and off we went.  Megan was not a happy camper.  We get to about 8:30 and she is fit to be tied.  I'm talking to the big boss in the kitchen and Megan kept opening the door to ask if we could leave.  I realize she is a kid and doesn't often understand that you have to respond to the person who signs your paycheck.  At 8:45 it was time to leave.  Megan was so mad because I wouldn't take her first and then her sisters to school.  As I was explaining that I wasn't going to make 3 other kids late just so she would be even later than late, she told me to shut up.  Whe I asked what did you say, her response was, "You heard me I told you to shut up." 

Needless to say Megan was grounded for that one.

Pretty good day at work after that lovely display.  We get home after work and Megan is mad because I won't let her go out and play.  So began the evening of keeping Megan inside.  We all hadn't had hair cuts since before school let out in the Spring.  I saw that the hair design place on Bardstown Rd. has $5 haircuts.  So I loaded up 4 grouchy kids in the car and off we went.  Only they don't give haircuts on Friday afternoons. Shit.  We went into Taco Bell next door and for $6 I fed my kids a dinner I did not have to cook or clean-up.

After we came home I called Ali.  She told me about $5 haircuts at SuperCuts.  I then loaded up (again) 4 grouchy, dirty kids and off we went.  Now we all look like we got $5 haircuts from the hair design school.  They are not good cuts.  But the ladies who cut the girls' hair were so amazingly friendly and nice, I didn't have the heart to say anything about our bad hair cuts.  I could have cut the girls hair and it might have looked better.  The girls are happy with their cuts nonetheless.

I might also add that during this whole evening I had to deal with screaming, crying, rude, disprectful young ladies who were not happy about having been dragged out of the house twice in one evening to try and get haircuts.  I couldn't do it on Saturday as the girls are with their Dad.  There was name calling, and pushing, and general painintheassness going around.

I rented Soul Surfer for the girls to watch when it got dark.  The movie came from Red Box and had scratches all over it so we had to watch a movie that kept sticking and skipping.  That only added to the grouchiness.  I popped two bags of popcorn.  Towards the end of the movie Megan and Abigail started to physically fight and in the process the big bowl of popcorn ended up all over the floor. 

That was the final straw for me.  I sent everyone up to bed and all I wanted to shout was:

"I had a religious epiphany yesterday!!  Don't you know my life should be different today?"

After what I went through on Thursday I just assumed, hoped, that I would wake upon Friday morning and things would be different.  My life would be instantly recognizable to anyone who knows me that somehow my life was different.  Maybe I thought I should win the lottery.  Or my boss would give me a raise.  Or Prince Harry (damn he is yummy) would somehow swoop in and make my life feel better.  It was a let down.  I was underwhelmed by it all.

So today I am going to continue to go about my life the only way I know.

"You just put one foot in front of the other and soon you'll be walking out the door."

That's the only way I know how.  I'll just get up everyday.  Keep going.  One foot in front of the other.

Or I just may take a nap.

No comments: